Our department offers comprehensive microbiological testing including general Bacteriology, Mycology, Mycobacteriology, Parasitology, Infectious diseases serology and molecular biology. The laboratory is highly automated and provides rapid results using Bactec blood culture system, Uroquick urine culture system, Vitek 2 rapid identification and sensitivity testing, MGIT rapid TB detection, Cobas Amplicor PCR technology and the Lightcycler for “real time” PCR testing.
- The laboratory is licensed by the TGA for the serological testing of blood and tissue donors.
- Special expertise in ocular microbiology, (providing a service to the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital)
- Special expertise in antimicrobial susceptibility testing (actively involved in antibiotic resistance monitoring member of AGAR, the Australian Group for Antibiotic Resistance)
- Consultation regarding appropriate specimen collection, test interpretation and advice on antibiotic susceptibility results and use
- Infection Control Service supported by Medical Microbiologist, Infection Control Nurse and Infectious Disease Physician
- Microbiology Newsletter - Bug Busters
Contact us on tel: 03 9231 4221
Hours of operation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.